- Body & Gym Posts
- 25 Nov, 2019
'Calf lifting' in Dutch, is an isolation exercise for your calf muscle and allows you to train all three heads of the calf muscle. It is almost the best-known calf exercise and is relatively easy to perform.
- If you perform the exercise standing, do this on an increase to achieve maximum range of motion (ROM).
- Keep your legs straight and make sure your back is straight.
- Do not perform the exercise too heavily, because the calves and Achilles tendon are relatively susceptible to injury.
You will get maximum results from this exercise when you have full ROM and a controlled implementation. Pay close attention to the following points:
- Stretch your calf as far as possible when lowering, and then come up as far as possible.
- Tighten your calves for a second before you lower again, and do this checked so that there is constant tension on your muscles.
Position of the feet
By placing your toes in different directions you can increase the emphasis on different parts of your calf muscles. By placing your toes outwards you focus more on your inner calf muscle, and by placing your toes inwards you focus more on your outer calf muscle. If you keep your toes straight, you divide the focus.
Way of weighting
You can increase the exercise in different ways. This is possible with dumbbells, bars, kettlebells, discs and much more. It also has no influence on the effectiveness of the exercise, so the type of weighting depends entirely on your personal preference. You can also practice the exercise in different fitness equipment.