- Body & Gym Posts
- 27 Nov, 2019
The pullover is often seen as an exercise for the chest muscle, but due to a slight change, the pullover is an excellent isolation exercise for your lats. The lats are included in almost every back exercise, but they are rarely isolated. The lat pullover and the straight arm pulldown are the only two exercises where this happens. Both exercises require good control and a good mind-muscle connection.
- By turning the elbows inwards, you change the pullover into an exercise for your lats. If you turn them outside it becomes a chest exercise.
- Keep your arms as straight as possible, but do not lock your elbows.
The lat pullover has a fairly difficult execution, but if you master the exercise well you can ensure maximum growth of the lats, which is important for a beautiful V-shape. Pay close attention to these points:
- Ensure a maximum stretch in your lats, which ensures the largest possible range of motion (ROM).
- Tighten your lats well while moving the weight.
- When using cables, bring the bar as far as possible towards your hip and tighten your lats well.
Everyone has their own preference for a variation of this exercise, because everyone finds the implementation of a certain variation just a little easier. There are different ways to use the training bench, and you can use a cable, dumbbell, or bar.
Often people lie on the bench with their backs and then perform the exercise. You can also choose to place only your shoulders on the bench, so that you can move your hips for a larger ROM. Finally, it is also possible to use a decline bench, so you can enlarge the ROM a little more.
Bar, Dumbbell, or Cables
Everyone has their preference for one of the three. You can decide for yourself which variant suits you best!
- With cables, implementation is often the easiest, and you can also pull the weight all the way to your hip.
- With the bar it is often easiest to keep your elbows inwards, which is important to optimally activate the lats.
- When using a dumbbell, you can keep your hands closest to each other, so you can tighten your lats better.