- Body & Gym Posts
- 02 Dec, 2019
This is an isolation exercise for your triceps in which you especially address your lateral and medial head. This exercise is excellent as an addition to your compound triceps exercises to give your muscles an extra shock.
- Step back and lean slightly forward so that you also grab the long head of your triceps.
- Keep your shoulders low and back, and stick your chest out.
- Try to keep your elbows as still as possible and only move your forearms.
- Keep your elbows as close to your body as possible (but not pressed against it) and make sure they point to the floor.
This exercise is often seen as an incomplete exercise, but this is often because many have a faulty execution. Often the triceps pushdown is done in an upright position, with incomplete range of motion (ROM). Pay close attention to these points:
- Keep your body as still as possible and do not lose momentum.
- Try to bring as much stretch as possible into your triceps and have a full ROM. So let your elbows bend further than the often recommended 90 degrees.
- Tighten your triceps for a second when you lower the bar.
- Do not perform the exercise too hard and try to do at least 8 repetitions.
Rod or rope?
Opinions are divided on the best way to perform the triceps pushdown. Using a rope is a bit more comfortable for the wrists, and you can tighten the triceps at the bottom a little better. However, you lose some strength on your forearms.
At the rod there is a little more tension on your triceps, and you can usually lift a little more weight than when using a rope. Both versions therefore have their advantages.
Underhand or overhand?
The overhand grip is used the most. This way is a bit more comfortable for the wrists and you need less grip power. However, it is a bit easier to maintain the correct shape with the underhand grip, and you can also tighten your triceps better at the bottom.
This variant is comparable to the use of a rope because your wrists remain almost in neutral position, only you use your forearms a little less to stabilize at the V-bar. On the other hand you can tighten your triceps a little less well.
Single Arm Pushdown
This variant is good with an imbalance in the strength of your arms. You perform the pushdown with a one-hand grip. However, the implementation is a bit more difficult because you cannot hold your elbows and your body in one place.